The 2022 Capitol Hill Challenge
The SIFMA Foundation's annual Capitol Hill Challenge™, presented by the Charles Schwab Foundation, is an exciting national financial education competition for public middle and high schools that reaches every U.S. Congressional district.
The 2022 Capitol Hill Challenge will take place online from January 31 to May 6, 2022 with a culminating celebration for winning teams to be held in June, either in-person or virtually (depending on health and safety guidelines). CHC is offered only by invitation from the SIFMA Foundation, with priority consideration given to Title I public middle and high schools demonstrating the highest need as measured by federal school assistance programs such as Free and Reduced Meals.*
About the Capitol Hill Challenge Program
Each year, with the full participation of Congress, the Capitol Hill Challenge (CHC) invites thousands of public school students nationwide to participate in a fun, educational online competition that instills a deeper understanding of personal finance and economics. Since its inception in 2004, CHC has made 6,500 matches of US Senators and Representatives with schools, encompassing nearly 143,000 students across the country.
CHC is offered free of charge and by invitation from the SIFMA Foundation. CHC matches Members of Congress with students, teachers, and schools in their respective Congressional district by zip code, with priority consideration given to public schools demonstrating the highest need as measured by federal school assistance programs. Up to two public middle or high schools per Congressional district may participate in CHC each year, and each school may have up to 10 student teams with 3-5 students per team. CHC ensures thousands of students at high-needs public schools across the country have access to high-quality financial education programming, especially in communities that may not otherwise have such opportunity.
CHC features the acclaimed Stock Market Game™ program, which, virtually or in the classroom, serves 600,000 public, private, and parochial school students annually, including 300,000 girls, 250,000 students from economically-disadvantaged communities, and 200,000 students of color. CHC student teams manage a hypothetical $100,000 online portfolio of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, impact investments, and cash. They learn integral workplace skills such as collaboration and critical thinking and improve their personal financial behavior and standardized test scores in math and economics.
At the end of the competition, the top 10 performing teams win awards and national recognition, plus the opportunity to engage directly with government and business leaders, virtually or in person (as per health and safety guidelines).
CHC Teacher Profiles
CHC in the Past
CHC in the News
- Three AITE students won big when Gamestop stocks soared - if only the $27k were real money June 12, 2021
- Congressman Panetta visits with Soledad middle school students June 12, 2021
- SIFMA and the SIFMA Foundation Announce the Top 10 Winners of the 18th Annual Capitol Hill Challenge and Congratulate All Participants May 24, 2021
- Carbajal pays visit to Righetti High economics class following national investing competition May 20, 2021
- Congressman Stauber virtually visits Isle School April 16, 2021
- Rep. Young Kim reinforces value of financial education for students participating in SIFMA Foundation's Capitol Hill Challenge April 12, 2021
- Rep. Jackie Walorski (R-IN-02) Hosts Virtual Visit with Argos Community Jr-Sr High School, Reinforces Value of Financial Education for Students Participating in SIFMA Foundation's Capitol Hill Challenge April 1, 2021
- Rep. Greg Pence hosts virtual visit with GCHS March 3, 2021
- SIFMA and the SIFMA Foundation Kick Off the 18th Annual Capitol Hill Challenge February 1, 2021