Capitol Hill Challenge
The SIFMA Foundation's annual Capitol Hill Challenge™ (CHC) presented by the Charles Schwab Foundation is an exciting national financial education competition for junior high and high schools that reaches all 50 U.S. states and their members of Congress.
The 2018 Capitol Hill Challenge will be held February 5 – May 11, 2018 and conclude with a winners' trip to Washington, D.C. from June 12-14, 2018.
The 2018 Capitol Hill Challenge program is offered by invitation from the SIFMA Foundation, with priority consideration given to public schools.
If you are a public middle or high school teacher and you are interested in applying, please complete the Teacher Registration Form available through the link below. The SIFMA Foundation will contact you if you have been selected and will then register your teams for participation.
About the Capitol Hill Challenge
Capitol Hill Challenge (CHC) matches Members of Congress with students, teachers, and schools competing in The Stock Market Game™ in their respective district or state. Student teams manage a hypothetical $100,000 online portfolio and invest in real stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. Since its inception in 2004, CHC has made 3,800 matches of U.S. Representatives and Senators with schools, encompassing more than 103,000 students across the country.
CHC partners up to 10 junior high or high school teams (3-5 students each) with your local Member of Congress (MOC). Students may only participate on ONE team. Your school must be located in the MOC's district with matching zip code. There is no charge for the CHC teams. However, only two schools per MOC can participate, with priority consideration given to public schools. Students taking part in a separate SMG game window can also take part in CHC.
The top 10 CHC teams will win a trip to Washington, D.C. to meet their Member of Congress and be recognized at an awards reception on Capitol Hill. During their visit, students and teachers will meet with business, government, and education leaders to learn about fiscal policy making, the role of the capital markets, and global economic trends. The winners will also have the opportunity to tour financial landmarks and national monuments.
For more information, download the CHC Brochure.
The CHC Program is by invitation only.
Awards Ceremony Highlights
- View Highlights from the 2017 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2016 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2015 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2014 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2013 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2012 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2011 Awards Ceremony
CHC in the News
- 13WIBW: Sen. Roberts encourages students to get off the sidelines
- RGV Proud: Rep Vela personally congratulates Faulk M.S on Finance Competition
- The Herald: Faulk students meet Vela, wait on results of stock market game
- The Times: Stock market game helps Hopewell students master financial literacy
- The Topeka Capital Journal: Sen. Pat Roberts defends Supreme Court opposition at Topeka West
- Chesterfield Observer: Dave Brat talks economics, tax policy at Clover Hill
- Forest Lake Times: Emmer comes to town
- TheEagle.com: U.S. Rep Bill Flores visits Oakwood Intermediate in College Station
- KBTX.com: Local 6th graders get money advice from Congressman Bill Flores
- TAPintoSummit: Power Broker (Congressman Lance)
- Summit Patch: Summit Students Talk Government With Congressman Lance
- Tristate: Congressmen Bucshon Visits Caze Elementary for Capitol Hill Challenge
- Gaston Gazette: Meet your future finance guys
- Daily News Journal: DesJarlais sponsors Daniel McKee students in contest
- Forbes: Rural Mississippi Kids Prove Stocks Aren't Just Insiders Game
- The Clanton Advertiser: CCHS Financial Literacy Team Recognized by Congressman
- The Hill: Capitol turned into stock exchange
- MLive Muskegon Chronicle: Reeths-Puffer High School students place 10th in finance competition; teacher offers tips
- The Hill: Financial literacy: Something we can all agree on
- NJ.com: Rep. Lance visits Woodglen School, chats with students about finance
- Hunterdon Review: Leonard Lance meets with Woodglen students
- NJ.com: Rep. Lance visits Woodglen School Lebanon Township
- North Jersey.com: Financial Education Goes To Washington
- The Bernardsville News: Rep. Lance touts stock game at Ridge High
- The Sentinel: Scott Perry visits Camp Hill Middle School
- The Messenger-Gazette: Congressman Leonard Lance visits Ridge High School
- CT News: AITE students on to something in investing
- Stamford Advocate: Himes handles marijuana, guns and Bitcoins at AITE
- Naperville Patch: Neuqua Student's Portfolio Takes Them to D.C.
- Politico Morning Money: SIFMA Event
- SIFMA and the SIFMA Foundation Announce the Top 10 Winners of the 14th Annual Stock Market Game™ Capitol Hill Challenge - May 24, 2017
- SIFMA and the SIFMA Foundation Kick-Off the 14th Annual Stock Market Game-Capitol Hill Challenge - February 6, 2017
- SIFMA and the SIFMA Foundation Announce the Top 10 Winners of the 13th Annual Capitol Hill Challenge - May 19, 2016
- SIFMA and the SIFMA Foundation Kick-Off the 13th Annual Stock Market Game™-Capitol Hill Challenge - February 1, 2016
- SIFMA and the SIFMA Foundation Kick-Off the 12th Annual Stock Market Game™-Capitol Hill Challenge - February 2, 2015