Capitol Hill Challenge
The SIFMA Foundation's annual Capitol Hill Challenge™, presented by the Charles Schwab Foundation, is an exciting national financial education competition for public middle and high schools that reaches every U.S. Congressional district.
The 2020 Capitol Hill Challenge runs from February 3 - May 8, 2020 and concludes with a winners' trip to Washington, DC from June 9 - 11, 2020. CHC is offered by invitation from the SIFMA Foundation, with priority consideration given to public schools demonstrating the highest need.CHC 2020 Rules
CHC 2020 Rules Summary Table
CHC 2020 Ranking Guide
CHC 2020 Webinar Schedule
CHC Webinar Recordings
CHC I 1/13/2020
CHC I 1/28/2020
CHC I 2/11/2020
CHC II 2/18/2020
CHC II 3/4/2020
CHC II 3/16/2020
CHC II 3/31/2020
CHC III 4/21/2020
CHC III 4/27/2020
About the Capitol Hill Challenge
CHC matches Members of Congress with students, teachers, and schools in every U.S. Congressional district to participate in a fun, educational competition that instills a deeper understanding of personal finance and economics. Since its inception in 2004, CHC has made over 5,000 Congressional matches with schools, encompassing more than 125,000 students across the country.
CHC features the acclaimed Stock Market Game™ (SMG) program, which serves 600,000 public, private and parochial school students annually. Provided free of charge, CHC is a special edition of SMG focusing on public and Title I schools and providing access to high quality financial education programming.
CHC student teams manage a hypothetical $100,000 portfolio of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, impact investments and cash. They learn workplace skills such as teamwork and critical thinking and improve their personal financial behavior and math competency. At the end of the competition, the top 10 performing teams win a trip with their teacher to Washington, DC to meet their Member of Congress and be recognized at an awards reception on Capitol Hill. During their visit, students and teachers attend meetings with business, government, and education leaders to learn about fiscal policymaking, the role of the capital markets, and global economic trends as well as tour financial landmarks and national monuments.
Up to two public middle or high schools per Congressional district may participate in CHC each year with up to 10 teams per school and 3-5 students per team. Your school must be located in the matching Congressional district (please verify on www.house.gov using zip code). Students taking part in a separate SMG game window may also take part in CHC, however, students may only participate on one CHC team. Only one winning team per school and one winning team per Member of Congress is allowed to win the trip to Washington, DC.
For more information, download the CHC Brochure.
The CHC Program is by invitation only, with priority consideration given to underserved Title I public schools.
Awards Ceremony Highlights
- View Highlights from the 2019 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2018 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2017 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2016 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2015 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2014 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2013 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2012 Awards Ceremony
- View Highlights from the 2011 Awards Ceremony
CHC in the News
- RollCall: Are you (financially) smarter than a sixth-grader? Jun 12, 2019
- KX11 News 12: Texoma school places in national competition, Jun 11, 2019
- Daily Journal: OUR OPINION: Celebrating good news from past week, Jun 4, 2019
- Daily Journal: Milam Elementary team wins nationwide stock market game, May 31, 2019
- SIFMA: Foundation announces Top 10 Winners of 16th CHC, May 29, 2019
- Herald Democrat.com: S&S students rank first in national investing contest, Apr 30, 2019
- NewsRadio 560 KPQ: Congresswoman Schrier Visits WestSide High School, Apr 25, 2019
- NewsRadio 560 KPQ: Congresswoman Schrier to Visit WestSide High School in Late April, Apr 10, 2019
- The Register-Herald: Capito discusses financial literacy with Oak Hill high schoolers, Mar 29, 2019
- Mondovisione: SIFMA/FIE kick off 16th Annual Capitol Hill Challenge, Feb 4, 2019